I made this 8 minute movie of my 10-hour drawing of my cast statue "Victoire de Samothrace" to demonstrate the optical block-in method.
1. The line drawing is all straight lines.
2. The shadow side is first filled in as all one even tone.
These two methods are difficult to adhere too, but if you can do it they address the main difficulties in drawing: capturing accurate proportion, and understanding light and shadow.
- Strathmore 400 drawing paper (not ideal for charcoal)
- vine charcoal, hard medium, and some soft (sharpened very sharp with sandpaper)
- kneaded eraser
- white "magic rub" eraser
- paper blending stump
- rough, cheap paper towel for blending